I was working slowly on this nice post about poetry, but in the meantime, here are some links and things.
1. NASA's evidence for global climate change.
2. Paul Krugman on the upcoming elections. He quotes the Senate minority leader: "The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." To which I say, Really? Because if that's true, I also say, Screw you all, Republicans. Thanks for not trying to make our country better.
3. Speaking of elections, the Philly CityPaper on Pat Toomey. Here's a snippet: "Toomey opposed a bill that would ban housing insurance companies from 'redlining,' or denying policies in certain (usually minority) neighborhoods." (Americans for Democratic Action 1999 Scorecard.) Redlining is what happened in my Camden neighborhood. It prevents good revitalization in city neighborhoods.
4. Next weekend is the International Writing Centers Association's conference in Baltimore. I can't go, but one of Moore's faculty is. We're both hoping to go to the MAWCA conference in the spring.
5. My undergrad institution, Eastern University, has a rep for being the "liberal" college among the Christian colleges. However, while I was there, a good chunk of the students were pretty conservative. Anyway, I was glad to see this and this in the student newspaper (which I was on during my four years there).
6. Some good music to go along with your day:
"Avila," The Wailin' Jennys
"The Seahorse," Over the Rhine