Wednesday, October 3, 2012

after an interlude



Harrumph. I am a bad blogger, but I thought I'd try to start this going again with a couple of updates.

1. Stuff I've been reading:
Home, Toni Morrison
The Solitude of Prime Numbers, Paolo Giordano
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, Junot Diaz (who was at the Free Library in mid-September. I didn't go because I'd just started this book)
The Price of Malice, Archer Mayor (who is the father of one of my friends; also a Vermonter and  an EMT/medical examiner/detective/everything and the kitchen sink)

I can do book thoughts if anyone wants on any of these.

2. Stuff I've seen:
While I don't go see movies in the theater (mainly because my roommate has a projector and we have a nice white wall on which to project), I did see Beasts of the Southern Wild a few weeks ago. I have yet to sort out my thoughts about it.

Also, this, which I came across a couple of weeks ago. Every girl should watch it:



3. Life in general:
I had an incident with my gas stove and a fireball (don't ask!) and ended up in the hospital with 2nd-degree burns on my right forearm and 1st-degree burns all the way to my shoulder. I have pictures...which I'm not going to share because I don't want to make anyone vomit. Anyway, I'm fine, my arm's fine, and I am now sure to be much more careful when I turn on the oven and light the pilot light.

Last Friday was the fifth anniversary of my friend Ben's death. Ben was...I'm not sure how to explain Ben. Suffice it to say that he was a big part of a lot of lives. I'm not sure I can think of college as a whole without thinking of Ben.

4. I went up to Massachusetts this past weekend. The leaves have started to turn:




3 comments:

  1. Gah! I didn't know about the fireball. Hope the recovery was speedy and painless - as much as that's possible, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The recovery was speedy. I'm pretty much all healed up. Lots of pain in the beginning--the ER nurse asked me what my pain level was and I said, "About a 7 or 8." She said, "You're very stoic."
    ...and then they put me on morphine. That was all sorts of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your arm healed up! I'd definitely be interested in your thoughts on Beasts of the Southern Wild...Steph and I saw it and I don't think we ever did sort out what we thought.

    ReplyDelete